Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Crystal Lake (In the Rearview)

A summer road trip song about a time when the world was supercharged and we were invincible. Crystal Lake was the now-departed rural beach (and later waterpark) or our youth. Man, those were the days. Hope you enjoy our stroll into the nostalgia pool...

This tune is from 2020. Remixed the vocals and used rear bus compression in parallel with the mix bus on the master. That rear bus technique is the bomb. (THANKS, David Snyder!)

Lyrics: R.W. Davis
Vocals, BGV arrangement: D.A. Hughes
Sandcastles: Me

Style is _BASALT.STY (Basalt Modern Rock w Shaker)
RealTracks in style: 1255:Bass, Electric, PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1264:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1259:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockA-B Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: ShakerEv[single]^3-8thsBright
RealTracks in song: 1257:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRock8ths Ev 120
RealDrums in style:PraiseWorshipShine^03-a:Kick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Slightly Open

As I watch Crystal Lake in the rearview
I glance on over and smile at you
With sand in your shorts and a drink in your hand
You look so lovely and perfectly suntanned

We got the windows down
Your hands out of the T-top
The windshield is splattered
By all the pesky raindrops
I can’t hear the radio, but you still sing along
I wonder if they’re playin’ our favorite song
The wind whips our t-shirts and the sun burns our skins
And we can only hope that this day never ends

As I watch as you dance in the front seat
I ask if you want something to eat
With a smile you say “Let’s just keep on drivin’
Cos I’m havin’ too much trouble decidin’.”

We got the windows down
And we can only hope that this drive never ends

You got your swimsuit on under your clothes
A little bit of sunscreen on your nose
A bit of the beach between your toes
You look up to see a dozen rainbows
And then you say “I want one of those!”

We got the windows down
And we can only hope that this day never ends

We got the windows down...

Last edited by DC Ron; 05/19/24 03:45 AM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Having been born and raised by the sea this is a song that reminds me of the long summers of my youth. I really like the chorus, too.

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ron...very very nostalgic...it was Lake Storey for me in my youth...where all the cool girls and cool cars showed up...great production...I get the feeling you like music that showcases this period in music history and it's not just nostalgia but the music was good...as they would say on American Bandstand it "has a good beat and you can dance to it"...you nailed the genre and captured a feeling that most of us from those periods enjoy feeling...well done boys! and the music was terrific!!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ron, I sure did enjoy the trip. Also loved the harmony.
Thanks

Cheers

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
I
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I
Sounds good Ron. Fun song and and excellent mix. Personally, being unaware of Crystal Lake, you captured and conveyed the nostalgia perfectly. Nice.

User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by WaoBand
Having been born and raised by the sea this is a song that reminds me of the long summers of my youth. I really like the chorus, too.

Chay, yes, I recall you sharing some of your seaside adventures in earlier comments. Glad you liked this!

Originally Posted by firesong
Ron...very very nostalgic...it was Lake Storey for me in my youth...where all the cool girls and cool cars showed up...great production...I get the feeling you like music that showcases this period in music history and it's not just nostalgia but the music was good...as they would say on American Bandstand it "has a good beat and you can dance to it"...you nailed the genre and captured a feeling that most of us from those periods enjoy feeling...well done boys! and the music was terrific!!

Dan, thanks for the listen! You've nailed my predisposition for fun songs, 'cause...if it's not fun, why do it? Here's to "cool girls and cool cars". Ha!

Originally Posted by cubanpete
Hi Ron, I sure did enjoy the trip. Also loved the harmony. Thanks Cheers Mike B.

Mike, glad you enjoyed the trip! Be sure to wipe the sand off your feet before getting back in the car...

Originally Posted by Izzy
Sounds good Ron. Fun song and and excellent mix. Personally, being unaware of Crystal Lake, you captured and conveyed the nostalgia perfectly. Nice.

Izzy, glad you liked it! "Crystal Lake" was a real place, but I think of it as a metaphor for those dreamy good times that we imagine will last forever, but somehow never do. The "good old days" indeed. THANKS for listening!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
When I listened to this song and noticed how wonderful it was, and I don't believe this is narcissistic, I was reminded of myself and how great I am.

Because it was me after all who brought to everyone's attention the technique and the power behind the rear buss parallel mastering technique that I learned from Andrew Scheps, and the enormous generosity that I have in sharing my phenomenal mixing wisdom with the people on the forum who look to me for...

Okay I'll stop, hahaha! You don't get many chances to do this so I had to make my move!

But seriously man this sounds awesome! Yeah I can hear that parallel mastering kicking in big time.

And I love the story and that photograph man. I do so much want to go back in time in a time machine right now and live back in that era like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks for taking me there for at least the length of this song.

User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by David Snyder
When I listened to this song and noticed how wonderful it was, and I don't believe this is narcissistic, I was reminded of myself and how great I am. Because it was me after all who brought to everyone's attention the technique and the power behind the rear buss parallel mastering technique that I learned from Andrew Scheps, and the enormous generosity that I have in sharing my phenomenal mixing wisdom with the people on the forum who look to me for...Okay I'll stop, hahaha! You don't get many chances to do this so I had to make my move!

Carpe diem. Take a bow, sir. Well deserved!

Originally Posted by David Snyder
But seriously man this sounds awesome! Yeah I can hear that parallel mastering kicking in big time. And I love the story and that photograph man. I do so much want to go back in time in a time machine right now and live back in that era like you wouldn't believe. Thanks for taking me there for at least the length of this song.

Yeah, oddly enough the rear bus trick is both subtle and profound to my ears. At any rate, I'm going to build it into my song templates going forward. Thx again!!

Let me know when that time machine is revved up, I'm ready!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

Outstanding song! Love the lyrics, arrangement & vocals. Sounds professional in every aspect - should be on the radio.

Loved this!

Bob

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Ron,

Very cool listen! Really like the lyrics to this one . . . chorus has a nice catchy feel to it. Production is clean and right spot on. Like the little harmonies you have running through the verses, and it the chorus. Nice imagery. Yeah, and that chorus (nice addition of the "oohs" on the last choruses). Good stuff!

My best to you,

Deej

User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by rsdean
Ron, Outstanding song! Love the lyrics, arrangement & vocals. Sounds professional in every aspect - should be on the radio. Loved this! Bob

Bob, glad you liked it! Of course, if it were on the radio and the T-top was down, I probably wouldn't hear it anyway. Ha!

Originally Posted by Deej56
Ron, Very cool listen! Really like the lyrics to this one . . . chorus has a nice catchy feel to it. Production is clean and right spot on. Like the little harmonies you have running through the verses, and it the chorus. Nice imagery. Yeah, and that chorus (nice addition of the "oohs" on the last choruses). Good stuff! My best to you, Deej

Deej, THANKS for the listen! Yes, those lyrics (not mine) are very fine indeed. And the BGVs (also not mine) were an inspired choice by Dusty. Those guys keep me on my toes. Glad you liked it!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
OH, YEAH!! I was there. This song is filled with such good (and very relatable) lyrics. Vocals are very good. There is a Crystal Lake near here, but it has become hoity toity. Harveys Lake has been filling memories like this song for over 100 years. Col song.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work. It sounds really nice.

I like the harmony vox.

Cool reminiscing song. I think every state has a "Crystal Lake". In fact, there was a lake by that name where I grew up. A swimming place.... but the water there was anything but "crystal". More like greenish brown with a bunch of frogs.

I enjoyed this song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by BabuMusic
OH, YEAH!! I was there. This song is filled with such good (and very relatable) lyrics. Vocals are very good. There is a Crystal Lake near here, but it has become hoity toity. Harveys Lake has been filling memories like this song for over 100 years. Col song.

Marty, pretty sure I SAW you there, too! Looked up Harveys Lake and, yes, much in common. Happy to have stirred up some (hopefully) good memories. THANS for the listen!

Originally Posted by Guitarhacker
Nice work. It sounds really nice. I like the harmony vox. Cool reminiscing song. I think every state has a "Crystal Lake". In fact, there was a lake by that name where I grew up. A swimming place.... but the water there was anything but "crystal". More like greenish brown with a bunch of frogs. I enjoyed this song.

Herb, glad you enjoyed wading back in time with us! Frogs would have definitely killed the vibe...I might have croaked. Ha! (groan)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Fab song that sounds great but the vocal, at the beginning, seems to be in the wrong genre...he has a late period Power Pop/Wheatus sound.
Enjoyed the nostalgia.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Ray, glad you enjoyed the nostalgia! I had to look up Wheatus. It's sometimes embarrassing how many well known acts have evaded my attention. Anyway, it took a while to sort through their top handful of songs given how Teenage Dirtbag overpowered much of their other stuff in the search engines. But...I really like them and their brand of power pop, and I think that much of what I'm trying to do musically on this song and others aligns with what they do. (They are of course MUCH better at it.) But I'm scratching my head at your "wrong genre" comment since I think Wheatus would be an aligned genre. It's not you, it's me. I've got a lot to learn for sure. THANKS again for the listen and reflection! That's why I'm here. smile

Last edited by DC Ron; 05/21/24 05:49 AM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ron,

Man, another top notch song from you three! Great write, vocal, and arrangement.
And a fabulous mix! Man, those drums sound fantastic.
I really need to find the time to learn about this rear buss parallel mastering technique that you and David have been on about.

Excellent, enjoyed!

User Showcase
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
Hi Ron, Man, another top notch song from you three! Great write, vocal, and arrangement. And a fabulous mix! Man, those drums sound fantastic. I really need to find the time to learn about this rear buss parallel mastering technique that you and David have been on about. Excellent, enjoyed!

Dave, glad you enjoyed it! The rear bus was a happy experiment. One of the nice features of the rear bus is you can mute the bus if you don't like what it's doing. But in the proper moderation (ie, ratio of rear bus to mix bus) it probably provides a pleasing result for most anything in the rock/pop genre.

I use a Studio One FX drum chain called "drum group" as the starting point for BiaB drums. It's also easy to tweak if the output gets out of control, such as with too much oomph to the kick or an obnoxious ride.

THANKS for listening!

Last edited by DC Ron; 05/21/24 04:11 PM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, guys!

I'm a sucker for Power Pop Punk Rock. And y'all do it So Damn Well.
Love the BAND!
The Vocals are SO infectious!

This is Just Good Fun.
So good.

fj

User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
I love the song, kinda reminds me of a Beatles style. Wish I could get my tracks to have that surround sound!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,916
Posts738,811
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic
38,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162